Thursday, June 24, 2010

Only Thing Better Than Pizza? Grilled Pizza!


While trying to think of something to make for our weekly dinner date, I remembered one of my Facebook friends posting a picture of a grilled pizza he made and since I love pizza and I love grilling, I thought "This is something that must happen in my house."
So I did a little research on the intarwebs and learned that not only is it easy to do, but is supposedly quite delicious.
Natalie made the dough earlier in the day, so we started by making the crusts. I don't have a rolling pin, so we shaped them by hand (ok, Natalie did)
Nat is quite the pizza tosser. If pizza dough tossing was a Special Olympics sport, she would get the "Participant" ribbon.

Next step is to toss the dough on the grill for a couple minutes on each side to stiffen it up a bit. As you can see by the lack of roundness, Nat's dough tossing skills need a little bit of work. But hey, round pizzas are for pussies.

Here are some of the ingredients we decided to go with. Since Nat is a vegetarian, we chose fresh vegetables.. Red/yellow/orange mini peppers, spinach, mushrooms, onions, asparagus and Fuji apple slices. I also made come carmelized onions for the pizza I wanted to make with the apples.


Next step: Slap your sauce (I made a creamy garlic sauce and a simple tomato sauce) your cheese and toppings on your dough, toss it on the grill and wait about 15 minutes.

And here's the finished product. I swear, this was some of the best pizza I've ever had. The spinach, mushroom and asparagus was definitely the winning combination The crust was nice and crispy on the bottom yet still a bit chewy and unlike any "fast food" pizza I've ever had, each and every single bite was screaming with flavor.
Round Table can suck it!

Next time you're thinking about ordering out, think again. Invite some friends over and take the time to make your own and GRILL EM! You won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

  1. what temp did you have the grill on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. About medium heat. I didn't pay too much attention to the temp, but if I had to guess, I'd say around 300 degrees or so.

    ReplyDelete