Saturday, July 2, 2011

Highs and Lows


This morning I woke up from a dream with such heartache I thought I had to still be sleeping.

It’s been just over a year since Dewey was laid to rest and I have to say, I still struggle with his loss every day and am still brought to tears more often than I care to admit.

Last night I dreamt Dewey was still with me. We were running around and playing. I pet him as he was lying in the sun and I was (we were) happy.

Beyond happy, actually.

The joy that was in my heart as I slept is impossible to describe, although I know many of you that have -or have lost- pets can identify with it. However, the emptiness that closed in on me upon my waking with the realization that he is still gone was as unsettling as it was overwhelming.

While I miss Dewey with all my heart every day and would give almost anything to have him here with me again, the memories I have will always be there and for that I’m thankful.

If I could wake up with the heartbreak I woke with today everyday every day for the rest of my life, I would, because that would mean that every night I would dream about the joy and love that he brought into my life, and I wouldn’t trade that for the world.

Today I’ll give Tex some extra treats and hug him a little tighter.

Miss you Dewman.

No comments:

Post a Comment