Monday, December 27, 2010

Man's Best Friend


My girlfriend says I spoil my dog.

As I’m sitting here typing this, Tex is running around the house with the loudest squeaky you’ll ever hear and you know, it doesn’t bother me a bit. I actually go out of my way to buy him loud ones, because I know he loves them and that makes me happy.

Dewey used to snore like a lumberjack and I remember, after we all settled down to go to bed, he would always fall asleep while I read, and so many of those nights, I would set down my book and just listen to him snore for the longest time. He was my baby boy and it didn’t bother me a bit.

90% of the time, when I’m watching a movie, Tex is on my lap or at my feet. Every night when I go to bed, he’s lying next to me.

Sometimes he stinks and could use a bath, but I don’t care.

Sometimes Tex chews up the mail and he usually lies at my feet when I’m eating. He doesn’t beg or let out a peep, but he’s there waiting, in case I drop something.

Some people would find it annoying, I find it endearing.

The way Tex darts into the kitchen when I say the word spaghetti and the look he gets on his face when I ask if he wants a treat or wants to go for a walk or for a ride just melts my heart every time without fail.

The way he nudges my face in the morning when he wants his breakfast makes me want to get out of bed instead of roll over and go back to sleep.

My heart is filled with joy every day because of this beautiful little dog I was blessed enough to stumble across.

My dog isn’t the spoiled one…

I am.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I feel the exact same way about my babies. Just this morning, I rolled over and knew ONE of the dogs was lying next to me (as always), and I half-opened my eyes to a 70-pound dog lying on her back with all 4's straight up in the air. Talk about starting the day with a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have trouble sleeping when we go out of town. I'm always tempted to put a shoe or something heavy on the bed next to my legs to trick myself into thinking it's Mr. Bob. :)

    ReplyDelete