Monday, January 3, 2011

You Have Entered the Twilight Zone


The other day, as I flipped through the channels, I stumbled across a Twilight Zone marathon.

I instantly parked my ass on the couch and got lost in another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination.

Man, I hadn’t heard that monologue since I was a kid.

The Twilight Zone was my old man’s favorite show and I remember so many nights, when I was just a kid, staying up late and watching it with him. Half the time I was huddled on the couch scared out of my pants with my hands over my eyes and him making fun of me, but boy did I love watching that show and boy did I like spending time with Dad.

So, over the New Year's weekend, for I don’t know how many hours, I just sat and completely spaced out. Lost, not only in that crazy dimension, but in memories. Was it hours and hours of wasted time? I don’t think so, because not only was I entertained by the horrendous acting, ridiculous twists, Rod Serling’s genius and the overall naiveté of the late 50’s/early 60’s, but I was brought back to my childhood that, while full of lots of bad times, had just as many (if not more) good times that I don't really think about as often as I should.

I may not sit huddled and scared on the couch anymore, peeking through the cracks between the fingers that once covered my face, nor do I sit wondering if I’m really a doll in some space alien’s playroom. I sit and enjoy every moment and every memory that it brings back, because that’s all I have left (well that and 9 more episodes on the DVR)

Now if only I could find a Benny Hill marathon…


Miss you, Dad.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Baldy.

    Nice blog post, my man. Back when I was a tad my brothers and I used sneak down late at night to watch Twilight Zone. We covered the huge old black and white with a blanket to make a tent, so that the flickering light wouldn't sneak upstairs and wake up moms and pops. This was back in the day, like 1968 or 69. We used to watch another show called "Inner Sanctum" and another called "The Outer Limits" like that too. My dad took us to scary movies all the time; movies like "Creature from the Black Lagoon" or "Bride of Dracula", but we watched those shows at night on the sly. Still, Pops told me years later that he knew we were doing it. He didn't care as long as mom never found out. I miss him, too.

    Anyway, I'm posting a comment here to thank you. Your post inspired me to make some memories for my boys. We finished our homework early, got some chips and root beer and sat in front of "Starship Troopers". A ridiculously silly movie that appealed to their fear of aliens and their interest in killing them in bloody ways. They were huddled around me pretending not to be freaked out; even my twelve year old couldn't help covering his eyes from time to time. They...hell...WE... enjoyed it and will be talking about it for sometime (they were discussing better ways to kill the bugs while brushing their teeth -by tomorrow they'll have figured out a way to win the war).

    So my note of thanks to you.

    Keep writing, my friend. You got skilz.

    Shiftless

    ReplyDelete