Friday, January 28, 2011

140.6

Yesterday, I finally got around to going to Fleet Feet and dropping $2 on the decal I’ve been longing for since November.
It’s a white oval with a 140.6 in the middle of it.
It doesn’t say anything really. Just a number, but anyone who knows what that number means, knows that that little decal actually says quite a lot.

Back before I did an Ironman, I would see random cars and trucks, here and there with 140.6 decals and I have to admit, I was jealous.
I was jealous of the kind of person that could do an Ironman, someone with drive, discipline, willpower, control, grit, strength and determination. Many of the things I’ve always thought I lacked.

Well, I guess I have a bit of all those things…

I would sometimes drive to the trail to run, so I didn’t have to run all the way to the trail to run.
I had enough discipline to not smoke while I was running.
I had the willpower to not stuff my face with pizza and cheeseburgers until after my workouts.
I had enough control not to poop my pants. Not even once (although I came close a time or two).
I had grit….well, actually, I don’t know that I had any grit. 

Determination? Well yeah, I had a lot of that.

So I'm gonna drive around in my car with my 140.6 sticker. Maybe throwing  a “wassup” head nod to someone else that has one. Maybe some aspiring Ironman will see my fat ass in the car and think “if he can do it, I can do it.

Maybe they’ll think I’m driven, determined, and all those other things people think Ironmans are.

Maybe they’ll just flip me off because I drive like an asshole.

4 comments:

  1. Love it! I'm in awe... I have neither the discipline nor the fake discipline to do what you did. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wait, did you do it or did you just buy the sticker - as interesting this post I would love to read the actual race report! Perhaps I will have the sticker by fall as well. Unfortunately, and fortunately, I don't own a car, I'll just have to button it to my lapel and wassup everyone that way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I did IM Cozumel last November.

    Here's the link to my race report. =)

    http://rantingsofabaldman.blogspot.com/2010/12/cozumel-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should get one for your bike, too since it gets more road time than your car.

    ReplyDelete