Sunday, February 6, 2011

Superbowl Sunday

I’m not really a sports fan. I enjoy napping on the couch during a football game as much as the next guy, but rarely spend the day watching football, baseball or any other sport (besides the Tour de France, but that’s not really a sport, is it?)

Every year when the Superbowl comes around, I kind of chuckle inside. Partly because the spectacle of it all, but mostly because the best adjective the NFL could come up with for the biggest, most ultimate, end all, be all sporting event in the world is “Super.”

Super? Really?

They may as well have just called it the Very Good bowl. It’s like they didn’t even try.

What’s funny is that the NFL has trademarked this retarded name and broadcasters and other media sources can’t even say it without the risk of getting sued.

In baseball they have the World Series, which I think really expresses the importance of the game(s). Hockey has the Stanley Cup, which I think is a cool name.

I’m not saying that I can come up with a better name, hell,  I’m just a normal Joe that barely even likes sports, but if really pressed, probably could come up with a better name.

They should call it the Fabulousbowl, Most Awesomest Bowl Game Ever Bowl or the IDon'tGiveAShitandWillEatTooMuchandRegretItTomorrowBowl.

Maybe the NFL could hire the guy that names all the college bowls to come up with a new name for it.
I think the Orange Bowl is a good one, because it reminds me of Tang, and I really like Tang a lot. I also dig the Tostitos bowl, because it’s Nacho-centric, and who doesn’t love nachos? The Rose Bowl, while somewhat gay, is even a better name.

I once saw a show called the Glutton Bowl, it was a ridiculous eating contest that was pretty cool.

Even though it has a stupid name, it’s still a big deal and millions of people will be getting together to enjoy the day. Some will watch the game and scream and cheer for their teams. Most, I think, will enjoy the excuse to party on a Sunday with a lot of people they don’t see but once a year, play football in the street (and have sore arms on Monday because they only toss a football once a year) and spend some quality time with friends and family.

Regardless of the name of the game, the annual Superbowl party will be a good time as always.
Daveski will make his famous chicken wings, Tim will get drunk and deep fry a turkey, Rhonda will be the life of the party, Marianne will make her strange, mysterious dips that nobody actually likes, but eats anyway because we all love Marianne and we'll all pay more attention to the commercials than we do they game.
The jello shots will flow like wine and halftime street football game will be played and we'll all have a super time, which, I guess, is all that really matters.

Oh, and go Packers!



Peace!

3 comments:

  1. A "super time?" Really? For your sake I hope it's much better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one gets my vote: IDon'tGiveAShitandWillEatTooMuchandRegretItTomorrowBowl. Also, why DO they call the World Series the "WORLD" Series? The United States does NOT include the world, but rather the two best teams in America...so the name is somewhat arrogant and self-centeted.
    Me? Life of the party? I doubt that, but you are too sweet! See ya in a few, and save me a spot on the glutton corner of the couch. My tean (49ers) is not in it so I don't care who wins this year. Matt is a HUGE Packers fan, but I hate the Packers...Have to 'silently' cheer for the Steelers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats really funny about the trademark name, I never realized it until I heard it on the radio and started paying attention, hardly anyone actually uses "superbowl" in their advertising, because they dont want to pay out the ass for it! haha

    ReplyDelete