Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's day.

It's funny to think back to when I was a kid. My old man was quite a character.
He could be one of the meanest sonsabitches or the nicest guy you'd ever meet. I usually only noticed the mean part when I was younger, which is probably because I was a big pain in the ass.
I got in fights at school, goofed off, didn't study as much as I could have and rarely listened. I seem to recall being grounded about 40 weeks a year.

For some reason, I don't recall a lot of my youth, but there are a few things I remember...

I remember when I was about 6, laying on the couch, he on his back and me on top of him, both staring up as he blew smoke rings towards the ceiling. Funny to think about how outrageous that would be considered now, but back then it was rare we got to hang out, just the two of us. He must have smoked a whole pack of cigarettes.
I remember being yelled at constantly to keep my elbows off the table and to chew with my mouth closed.
I remember bragging about something once and being told "No matter how good you are, there will always be someone better."
I remember how he loved his Mother.
I remember his patience while I sat on his lap and he taught me how to tell time.
I remember how he would yell at the top of his lungs at the drop of a hat.
I remember how he taught me that there is good in everyone.
I remember praying with him.
I remember sitting around with him and his poker buddies while they told dirty jokes, like I was one of the guys.
I remember how he did the best he could.
I remember his love of Asteroids.
I remember his selfishness and his selflessnes.
I remember him trying to duplicate my Grandma's chicken soup recipe for years and failing miserably.
I remember sitting in McDonalds enjoying strawberry milkshakes and McChicken sandwiches.
I remember that I am who I am greatly because of him.
I remember not being as good of a son as I could have been.

I remember the day he was laid to rest.

I remember a lot, now that I think about it.

I miss you, Dad.

David John Bruni
Oct. 8 1940 - Jan. 30 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment