Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The things we are told.

I just cracked my knuckles for about the four millionth time and it hit me: "I don't have arthritis."
For as far back as I can remember, I was always told "Don't to that, you're going to get arthritis."

My face has also never frozen in an awkward way after making a funny face and my eyes are not permanently crossed.

As I sit here typing with both hands, I realize that I never lost an arm to one of those people that drove by real close and ripped off kid's arms when they hung them out the car window.

I didn't realize until I was about 14 that thunder wasn't clouds bumping into each other.

It wasn't until I was in my mid 20's that I really thought about where the vitamins in a piece of bread are and that they're not actually in the crust.

It's funny to think about the little fibs our parents told us. Whether they were for our own safety, to get us to do what they wanted us to do, or just to shut us up because they didn't really know the answer to one of our questions.

I'm sure there are many more fibs that both my parents told my siblings and me when we were young, but I'm at a loss to think of any as I quickly write this during my lunch hour.

If you have any of these little family fibs you would like to share, please do so. I'd love to hear how much more messed up and misinformed you are then I am. =)

5 comments:

  1. Everyone knows that the sound of thunder is simply the angels bowling in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. from the early 70's growing up in Fairfield..."Don't go outside or the Zodiac is going to get you."

    ReplyDelete
  3. swallow your gum, and a gum tree will grow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its a bad idea to tell fibs to kids because parents lose credibility. If a kid is told his eyes will stay crossed, but he figures out they don't, then why would he believe his teeth won't fall out if he doesn't brush them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eating pop rocks and drinking soda...actually I have never tried this. Was always too afraid my esophagus and stomach would explode. I am sure it's BS.

    ReplyDelete