Thursday, July 1, 2010

Who Wants to Watch Bike Races?

I am a cyclist.

I'm not really a competitive cyclist, unless you consider racing homeless people on the bike trail competitive. But a cyclist I am, through and through.
I love everything bicycle. The long rides, the short rides, the good rides and the bad rides. Even the ones I think about doing but don't actually do, which are usually the easiest.
I love working on bikes, tuning and polishing them, dialing in the gears so they shift flawlessly. Truing the wheels so they're straighter than a nun on Sunday.
Hell, sometimes I just sit and gaze lovingly at my beatiful two wheeled sex machines...wait..what?

Yeah...

I also love bicycle racing. In particular the Tour de France.

                                          ^^^See how I placed that cool logo there?^^^

To the layman, it's just a bunch of guys on their bikes wearing sissy clothes, riding in a big group going real fast while plastered with sponsors names you don't recognize unless you're European or a Radio Shack nerd. Actually, now that I think about it, how the hell does Radio Shack afford to sponsor a world class cycling team? I can't remember the last time I went to a Radio Shack and spent anything more than $3 on a stereo cable.

Anyway...

Why the lack of love for cycling? I mean hell, it's right up there with soccer as far as most people are concerned. Bikes and soccer, two things loved by 7 year old kids.
Mostly, I think, is because people don't understand the sport. The strategy and team tactics, the, pain, sweat and dedication it takes to pedal over 2,000 miles in three weeks with the most elite riders in the world.
I remember years ago watching the tour. Every morning I would watch the live coverage before I left for work. After seeing my excitement every morning, my (then) wife -who is about the furthest thing from a cyclist you'll ever see-  started watching with me. In no time at all, after having a better understanding of how professional cycling works, we were both sitting in front of the tv every morning, often screaming and cheering Lance on to another victory.
It was so amazing to see a non cyclist learn the love of the sport.

After not having cable for about four years, I signed a friggin' two year contract with Direct TV so I can watch this year.

This is how much I love this race.

So for three weeks, I will DVR the tour and watch it when I get home. For three weeks, I will avoid the internet spoilers. No sports pages, no facebook, discussion forums etc, just so I can come home every night, listen to Paul and Phil commentate like only they can, and watch this wonderful race in all it's splendor and glory. I may even wear my spandex.

If you're not a cyclist, thanks for reading this. If you are a cyclist, you're probably really sexy.

For you non-cyclist, I say you try watching a stage or two. You might find you like it.

Bonjour!

4 comments:

  1. Keith! You crack me up. You go spandex man!
    :-) Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe its a chamois violation if you're watching tv in your spandex :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Man..
    don't forget the crits in Davis on Sunday!! and Yes GO YELLOW (with smiley faces)
    mwwwwwaaaaaaaahhh
    lele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man. I'm a cyclist.. I'm sexy!

    This is Cheshyre btw. Like the blog.

    ReplyDelete